Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Oversexed, Overdone: Leggings

 Tawdry

The hyper-sexual overcast that ominously lingers over fashion today only seems to loom more heavily every time a seemingly innocent piece of clothing or trend reaches the point of inappropriate excess. This time, the culprit is the legging, possessing all the qualities of accessory, utility, lounge wear, outerwear, clubwear, etc. The list goes on, as this apparently simple garment has been taken to heights that only serve to make women more dependent on their physical appearance in the name of  attractiveness or style. The problem is, more often than not, as of late leggings are being worn in the most unsavory of ways, ways that may prompt someone to instinctively avert their eyes in case they've witnessed something that shouldn't be seen in the light of day, let alone in the midst of public display.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Support Domestic! Demand Domestic!

Then

 In 1965, 95% of clothing worn in the United States was produced domestically, with the remaining 5% consisting of imports. In 2010, that number has been reversed, with almost all of commercially produced garments being made in just about every other country except North America. Which, from a capitalist point of view may be considered a good thing--good for cutting costs on labor and distribution, contributing to higher profits. But what does this mean for the consumer, you may ask?

Now

It means is that when you buy those leggings from Forever 21 or handbag from H&M, your buying into and supporting a system that degrades the integrity of clothesmaking as a whole, where garments, shoes and accessories are usually made in foreign, industrialized sweatshops where the often harried process is conspicuously detached from the end product. It's a system that breeds ill treatment of workers, unfair wages, and does a grave disservice to the populous by selling overpriced, poorly made wares. How many times have you purchased what you assumed to be a quality piece, only to be blindsided by premature pills, unexpected tears, hidden disporportion or a general sense of kitsch?

Be informed and help stop the overt progression of mass-produced garments. Watch "Schmatta"!

What to Do?
Places to shop and ways to get awesome, better made (if not more stylish) clothes...for cheap!

-Goodwill
-Salvation Army
-Vintage Stores
-American Apparel (not so cheap, but a good investment, nonetheless)
-Dimepiece Designs
-Stoop/Yard/Garage Sales
-A sewing Machine

Monday, October 4, 2010

Heeeee's Baaaack! Jamiroquai - White Knuckle Ride

I've missed you my love....ahhhh, that telltale disco sound that I adore. This is what you call 'fashion music'.