Saturday, July 3, 2010

Letter from the Editor

The title and purpose of this platform stems from the oxymoronic phrase that is more about our current state of mind than any actual lack of clothes. That state of mind being that more often than not, we feel as though we aren't or don't have enough, when in reality we have too much. We live a society where conspicuous consumption is not only condoned, but glorified. The association and attachments we hold to material things have become dangerously intertwined with a sense of self-- who we are, or what we think we are can be easily connected to how much you have, what handbag you carry or what designer shoes you walk in. It's easy to lose sight of what's real, especially when you believe that the "Chanel" quilted handbag you bought on Canal street has any genuine attributes, physically and metaphorically speaking. How ironic is it that these things we go out of our way to acquire are the most disposable? It's time to wake up.

The fact is, people wear clothes. And I love clothes. Not clothes that communicate any particular status, association or income, but clothes that exude creativity, nostalgia and awe. Substantial, artful creations that break the status quo...or not. Because simplicity never goes out of style. Embrace individuality. Reject labels. Educate. Empty your closet.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this post and I thoroughly agree. People can be much too focused on what their labels say and not half as focused on what their clothes say about them as a person. Looking forward to reading more! -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Hana and I have to say I am loving you more with every post I read. Like you, I never cared for label - but rather I always look for the style that speaks to me.
    I seems to resonate with most your ideas and writings, especially this post!

    Keep it up girl :). I am sure will be coming back ;)

    ReplyDelete